Fighting sprawl to protect our communities and our climate
We’re running out of time to take action on climate change. By making our urban areas affordable and accessible to all through bold affordable housing policy, ensuring that cities and counties are planning for climate change, and protecting our farms and forests from illegal sprawl, we have the opportunity to transform the lives of Washingtonians and the natural environment around us.
Why address these issues through the GMA?
Land use planning sits at the intersection of the biggest ecological and social problems plaguing our state. From climate change to housing affordability, environmental justice, and the protection of our farms and forests, how we plan to accommodate growth has profound impacts on the health and resilience of our communities, whether you live in a rural area, urban, or somewhere in between. And in Washington, the Growth Management Act is the body of policy that dictates how cities and counties plan for growth. The GMA offers us a tool to create more equitable, just, and livable places for all Washingtonians.
The Campaign: 2022 Preview
In 2021, The Washington Can’t Wait Campaign built a movement of constituents and organizations across Washington who called on their legislators to update the Growth Management Act to address the biggest crises facing our state. For an overview of our work last year, check out this blog post.
This year, we are back to finish what we started and ensure that our state is planning for the impacts of climate change, housing equity, and to protect our farms and forests.
No matter where you live in Washington, whether rural, urban, or somewhere in between, you are impacted by these crises and the ways that they intersect with our land-use decisions.
To ensure this work gets done, we are focusing on three policy initiatives for the 2022 legislative session:
- Pass HB1099 to ensure Washington cities and counties are planning for climate-resilient communities while reducing our contributions to the climate crisis.
- Fully fund HB1220 to ensure that the state legislature does not short-change housing equity and that we are doing everything we can to address race and income-based housing discrimination.
- Close the GMA’s ‘vesting loophole’ to protect farmland, forests, and critical habitats from unnecessary sprawl by passing SB5042.
To win big in 2022, we need your help.
Here are some ways that you can get involved:
- Join our Campaign Kick-Off on September 30th.
- Are you an organization interested in supporting the WA Can't Wait Campaign's efforts this year? Your organization can endorse any of the three bills we are working on at this link.