Futurewise has compiled a directory of useful information about Smart Growth, Washington's Growth Management Act, as well as links to other good land use resources.
Washington's Growth Management Act
- An Introduction to Smart Growth
- About Washington's Growth Management Act
- Smart Growth Research on the Internet (PDF version)
Futurewise Smart Growth resources
- Tips for Effective Public Testimony
- A Citizen's Guide to the Five-Year Review (PDF version)
- Ten Questions to Ask About Your City or County Comprehensive Plan
- Ten Questions to Ask About Your City or County Development Regulations
- The Growth Management Act After More than 10 Years: Another Look and a Response to Criticisms (PDF version)
Other Smart Growth resources
- Growing Cooler, a book authored by Smart Growth America, Urban Land Institute, and others
- A short video by the Congress for New Urbanism on the problems with urban sprawl
Links to growth management resources
- State Office of Community, Trade & Economc Development - the state agency responsible for land use
- Washington Growth Management Hearings Boards - where decisions on Growth Management challenges are made
- Shorelines Hearings Board - regulates management of state shorelines
- Office of the Code Reviser - find state laws and regulations
- State legal opinions published in the past 90 days
- Washington local government links - county, city, and regional websites
Careers, Volunteering, and Internships
Futurewise seeks a qualified, experienced Development Director to join our team, grow our resources and engage our supporters starting in May 2017. See the full job description for more information. Please share if you know anybody who might be a good fit! Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Housing Affordability Outreach & Mobilization Intern
We are seeking an intern to work closely with our staff on housing affordability issues in Seattle from mid-May 2017 through August 2017. The Outreach & Mobilization Intern will gain first-hand experience in on-the-ground outreach, coalition politics, and housing policy. Please see the job description for more information. Email Erin House, Outreach Coordinator for more information.
We are searching for volunteers who are interested in volunteering in the office during the weekday. Tasks generally include data entry, mailings, and other light office work. Opportunities for phoning members about important issues are also available. Email us for more information.
If you would like to take part in our fundraising efforts and see what goes on behind the scenes, there may be opportunities for you to volunteer with events. Email Caitlyn Taylor, Development Manager for more information.
We're building a team of attorneys who are willing to take on land use legal cases on a pro bono basis. Email Tim Trohimovich, Legal Director for more information.